Top Business Card Design Tips
- August 10, 2023 @ 7:10 pm
- Categories: Articles | Business Cards | Design Tips | Graphic Design | Marketing | Marketing Materials | Print Design | The Rusty Pixel
Designing and printing a business card that stands out and effectively represents your brand is crucial for making a strong impression. At The Rusty Pixel we have been creating amazing business cards for years and have learned many important things over that time. Here are our top 10 business card design and printing tips to help you create a memorable and professional card:
- Keep It Simple: A clutter-free design is essential. Avoid overcrowding the card with too much information or excessive design elements. Focus on the key details like your company logo, name, primary phone numbers, email, website, and perhaps a tagline/slogan.
- Use High-Quality Graphics: Ensure that your logo, images, and any other graphics are high-resolution. A pixelated or blurry logo can make your card look unprofessional.
- Choose the Right Typography: Select a legible font for your text, and limit the number of fonts used (2-3 max). Make sure the font size is readable, especially for contact details.
- Incorporate Branding: Maintain consistency with your brand colors, fonts, and overall style. Your business card should reflect your company’s visual identity.
- Consider Your Audience: Design your card with your target audience in mind. A creative, colorful design might be perfect for some industries, while a more conservative design is better for others.
- Consider Card Shape & Size: While standard US business card dimensions are 3.5″ x 2″, you can stand out by using a slightly different size or unique shapes (like rounded corners). Just be sure the card fits easily in standard wallets and holders.
- Choose the Right Finish: Consider using a finish beyond the standard glossy, in favor of one that is less commonly used — like matte, high-gloss UV, silk coated, or even suede. A small change like that can make your card more tactile and memorable.
- Add Premium Features: We offer many unique bespoke printing options for our business cards, such as super-thick 32pt, painted edges, metallic foil, spot-UV, laser die-cutting, or even embossing. Adding premium elements like that will make people say “wow” when they see and feel your cards!
- Triple-Check Information: Before printing, carefully review all the information on the card for accuracy including spelling, layout, size, contact details, etc. A typo or incorrect phone number on a business card can be embarrassing and unprofessional.
- Keep Updated: If any of your information changes, don’t wait to finish your current stock of cards before updating. It’s essential to have accurate information on your business cards.
Remember, your business card is often the first impression potential clients have of your business and likely the only thing they take with them — so investing time and effort into a well-designed card can pay off in the long run. Contact The Rusty Pixel today for a custom and creative business card design quote or stop by to see the many printing options in person (including our premium ones).